We were showing off our quarterly marketing mailer on our Instagram story this past week, and received a TON of questions about it...including a lot of things like "WHAT?! You still send marketing things out to people IN THE MAIL?!?" So, we decided it's time to give you the scoop on direct mail marketing. Why it still works, what we did for our mailer, and what you should be doing if you're sending out a mailer to market your business.
Does direct mail marketing (aka snail mail) still work?
The best way to look at this is to compare direct mail marketing to digital marketing. I know what you're thinking, "Digital marketing is probably so much better because I can get my ad in front of a ton more people for way cheaper", right? Um...
Let's crunch the numbers real quick.First, here's the stats: Digital ads are doing pretty well if they get a 0.14% clickthrough rate and then from the people that click, the average conversion rate is 2.35%. For email marketing, the average clickthrough rate is 2.71% and then the conversion rate for email marketing (via a newsletter) is about 1% for a house list. The overall conversion rate for direct mail is 1.0 to 3.7% (depending on whether the recipients are from a prospect list (1%) or a house list (3.7%).
If you skimmed through that paragraph, and all you saw was "blah, blah. Numbers, numbers, yada, yada" then here's a little infographic to make it more fun:
If you're over there just eating up all these numbers and percentages, here's some other fun direct mail facts:
- 92% of young shoppers say that they prefer direct mail for making purchasing decisions
- A USPS study reveals that direct mail recipients purchased 28% more items and spent 28% more than non-direct mail recipients.
- According to the USPS, 23% of direct mail recipients visited the sender's store.
What did we include in our mailer?
→ A super snazzy postcard
P.S. We designed them in-house and used MOO to print them – they let you print different backs within the same pack – and if you click this link, you get $15 towards your first order. (yay!) If you're a little lost about where to start, you can contact us to work up a catchy and effective design just for your brand.
→ A handwritten note
And that's mostly because we like to make very personal connections with all our customers, but also because we only send out about 150 mailers a quarter. We also find that this gives us a WAY better conversion rate, so it's worth the time in our book. This lets the customer know we are familiar with their business and have taken the time to assess what we think they might need, and where we think we can help.
→ A personal envelope.
Pro Tip: A colored envelope besides white is eye-catching and helps create more interest, which leads to a higher likelihood it gets opened.Our envelopes include a roots stamp in the bottom left corner. We hand write the address on the front, because independent studies say that handwritten envelopes have a 99.2% open rate. You probably already knew that – in this age of digital overload who doesn't get a little excited to get a hand-addressed envelope and open it first?
→ A business card.
What should you do to design a mailer that really works?
Make it personal
We all like getting stuff just for us, and marketing is no different. We don't want to feel like a person or company is talking at us or that they are just saying the same exact thing to everyone. That feels impersonal. Marketing via direct mail is already a step closer to being personal than a banner ad or even an email, but if you can think of ways to add additional personalization, it will increase the effectiveness and number of responses.
There is no substitute for authenticity, so the more genuine you are, the better.
Include a solid offer
Strong call to action
P.S. The MOO link is an affiliate link. If you click & buy something, you get $15 and we get $15. That's what we call a win-win.